6.21.2010

Icons of Modernism // Glass House

[All photos courtesy of Laura Diiorio (UMD '08, Tulane '12). Nice pics Laura, and good thing you took them, because I doubt I'll be in the New Canaan area any time soon!]

Glass House
Location: New Canaan, CT
Architect & Owner: Philip Johnson / National Trust of Historic Preservation
Year Built: 1949
Related Works: Farnsworth House by Mies van der Rohe


An allusion to the ideals of European Modernism, and a rather obvious nod to an architect Johnson greatly admired (Bauhaus master Mies van der Rohe), the Glass House is an archetypal example of glass-and-steel minimalism that, at the time, was revolutionary for American residential architecture. Unlike Mies, however, Johnson was far more eccentric in his use of form and allegory, as indicated in the numerous follys that populate the remainder of his 40+ acre estate.

For more information, check the visitor's center website and this recent feature in Time Magazine.

Inside, the only solid element of the house is the cylindrical bathroom enclosure. Johnson shows his love for Mies through purchasing several pieces of his furniture, and also shows his questionable taste in sculpture...



2 comments:

  1. Even though I haven't visited, I have to say that I like the Farnsworth House better. There is something much more elegant about the raised floor. The columns extending into the ground give the building roots like the surrounding trees. By contrast the Glass House seems to have been dropped on the ground by a crane. Maybe this was his intention?
    My visit was interesting, but I can't say that I was overwhelmed or awed like I have been by other architecture. I don't think I would pay to go back again, though it could have had something to do with our tour guide though who was a female 4'-9" nazi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This house is extremely overrated...or at least, over talked-about. I'm not a big Phil Johnson fan in general, he's too schizo.

    ReplyDelete